This project began, in a sense, during my high school years. I had created a series of dragon hybrid species for a project in an art class, but later scrapped the idea. However over time I kept the designs and refined them, and decided to create my own personal project for them. So I used some of the original dragon designs and expanded upon the idea to create a whole set of species designs, based off of existing animals.
I did some research on the actual animals to create character profiles and information on the creatures so I could set them in the real world. To present these characters, I compiled all the information and sketches into an illustrated scientific journal format. I used this format to further cement a sense of realism about my hybrid species, as if they had actually been discovered and documented.